Sunday, November 25, 2007

Canadian Responses

Update:
Primate and Metropolitans

(Update on Friday, November 30
Response to Canadian statement from the Southern Cone)

(Update on Saturday, December 1
Letters of support for the Network [tip of the hat to Simon Sarmiento at Thinking Anglicans])


From Michael Ingham

From Victoria Matthews

Ann Marie's

This morning M brought me a news clipping from the Star Phoenix. It is about what is happening in the wider church. It is about the schism that is occuring. First of all, we need to realize that no one person or group is totally blame. The article tries to blame the "liberals" which we know would include me. However, to me, as I've mentioned before, those calling me liberal are actually radically liberal.

What we need to remember is that regardless of what happens, this changes nothing for St. Paul's. We will continue to meet as Anglicans, as members of this diocese, and as members of the Anglican Church of Canada. We will continue to worship each Sunday and we will continue our mission in the larger community. For us, nothing changes.

Our new Primate, Fred Hiltz, has said that he will issue a pastoral response sometime this week to be read next Sunday. I will get this and read it to you then. In the meantime, if there are questions or you hear anything that troubles you, please do not hestitate to call me. Although I have not been bringing this to your attention over the last number of years, partly because it does not affect what we do here and it's one added tension I did not believe we needed to deal with (and if I chose wrongly then I apologize), I have done my best to keep up with it. I won't be blaming anyone but I will try to help you understand what is going on.

(At least that is the gist of what I said to my congregation this morning.)

Love and Prayers,
Ann Marie

9 comments:

Tim Chesterton said...

Anne Marie - just so's you know, some of us so-ca;;ed 'conservatives' are a bit p'd off with the Network people too.

Amie said...

I know Tim.

I have learned over the last few years that there is a great amount of diversity all over the spectrum. I work with a number of Anglican Essentials people and have avoided classifying all conservatives in one group. Just as I hope others allow for diversity in the more "liberal" group.

I also attended seminary with a number of more conservative students and learned that there are many things we do hold in common. I celebrate what we hold in common. And that may be why I tend to get a little hot under the collar when people negate my understandings and faith with such ease.

Lisa Fox said...

Good luck, Ann Marie. But having been victimized by the propaganda of the "Network" crowd in the U.S. for quite a while, I would advise you to buckle your seat belt and get ready for a bumpy ride. Those folks will stoop to any lie. They will try to paint you and folks like you as heretics. The U.S. has had the full force of their lies, and several of us expected Canada would be next.

And in honor of Tim, let me say that -- in my view -- there is no commonality between real conservatives (whom I respect) and these lunatics. The latter are wack-jobs who don't care as much about the church as about their power.

Good luck.
OCICBW ...
Lisa

Amie said...

Fortunately Lisa, we may be a conservative diocese but there is a strong voice for full inclusion that we're hanging together.

On the other hand, I have learned to embrace the definition of myself as a heretic. If the alternative is to exclude those I love and go against the beliefs that I hold so strongly, I am proud to be so labeled. I have found people and places that give me the support and nurturing that I need.

I know the people in the States have it pretty tough in some diocese. My heart and prayers go out to them and to you.

Tim's a good guy. I've seen a number of his posts on various sites.

Malcolm+ said...

Tim makes a good point, of course. Personally, I use the words in quotation marks - "liberal" and "conservative" - in part because I find them less than useful labels.

Amie said...

Malcolm,

I use the quotation marks as well (at least ususally). I drive the more traditional priests around here nuts because I keep telling them that I'm orthodox in my own way. They don't think that is possible.

And there aren't just the two categories. Many fall between. In my deanery there are two "conservatives", one "liberal" (bet you can't guess who), and two "moderates".

Love and prayers,
Ann Marie

Malcolm+ said...

On a given issue (in this particular, of course, it is "THE" issue), we all know who we mean when we say "liberal" or "conservative." But the labels miss all sorts of gradations.

We have conservatives like the Bishop of Edmonton - whom many "conservatives" would refuse to count as a "conservative" because of her sex and her job - who appears to believe the "liberals" have moved too far, too fast, yet refuses to countenance schism.

We have conservatives like the Bishop of Central Florida, deeply pained by what they see as wrong decisions, yet who remain committed to the oaths they made and to the institution they serve.

We have conservatives like the soon to be (if not already) decamped Bishop of Rio Grande, who has done the decent thing, resigned his place in the Church without any pretendy submission to foreign prelates. He's gone to Rome and conducted himself with dignity in the going.

These three and others like them I can happily call conservative without quotation marks.

But the machinations of a handful, including Venables, Akinola, Harvey and Harding, are hardly conservative in any meaningful way. The calumny about the "oppression" of conservatives is an out and out lie. The pretence of being canonically resident in a place you've never been is simply farcical.

To call these "conservative" is charitable, but inaccurate. However, the only accurate word, "schismatic," is possibly too uncharitable.

So "conservative" it is. But I hope all my conservative friends understand the (perhaps overly subtle) distinction I make.

Lisa Fox said...

Very good points. I would also refer you to articles (and very fine ones, I think) that we published at The Episcopal Majority: Teresa Mathes' "Don't Call Them Conservatives" and Chris Webber's recent essays, including "1984 in the Episcopal Church."

Tim Chesterton said...

I must say the letter from the Primate and Metropolitans sure puts a downer on Advent Sunday.