Wednesday, March 09, 2011

Have you got a minute - sit with me

I truly believe these are some of my most treasured moments as a priest. And they don't happen in a church. But rather the quiet after the rush in a local coffee shop. Or in a crowded noisey diner.

I love my calling - maybe not so much as a priest in a religious institution but as an ordinary person called by God to reach out in a hurt and broken world.

About nine months ago I sat in what has now become my regular diner - basically an early morning field office. I was relatively fresh from a rural context where I had an active community ministry supported by the people of my parish. I had been coming to this city diner for about two or three months. The only person I really talked to was my waitress.

I sat there and questioned God - Is this where I am suppose to be coming? I come here and sit in isolation time after time. I don't believe I am accomplishing anything here. - The answer was - keep coming.

Over the last few months I have managed to build a few relationships. I have even been invited to sit at the "staff" table a couple of times. And then today - there it was - "Have you got a minute - sit with me."

Love and Prayers,
Ann Marie

No comments: