Thursday, July 09, 2020

Pentecost 5 Take 2,1




Pentecost 5
Service of the Word
St. Thomas and St. Mary’s Anglican Churches
July 9, 2020


Opening Sentence
Blessed is our Father,
Lord of heaven and earth,
who has revealed these things to the simple. 

How Firm a Foundation
How firm a foundation, you saints of the Lord,
is laid for your faith in his excellent Word!
What more can he say than to you he has said,
to you who for refuge to Jesus have fled?

"Fear not, I am with you, O be not dismayed;
for I am your God, and will still give you aid;
I'll strengthen you, help you, and cause you to stand,
upheld by my righteous, omnipotent hand.

"When through the deep waters I call you to go,
the rivers of sorrow shall not overflow;
for I will be with you, your troubles to bless,
and sanctify to you your deepest distress.

"The soul that on Jesus has leaned for repose,
I will not, I will not desert to his foes;
that soul, though all hell should endeavor to shake,
I'll never, no never, no never forsake."

THE GATHERING OF THE COMMUNITY
Introductory Responses
O God, be not far from us.
Come quickly to help us, O God.
Christ has shown forth his glory:
O come let us worship.

Glory to the holy and undivided Trinity, one God:
as it was in the beginning,
is now and will be for ever.
Amen. Alleluia.

Christ, mighty Saviour, Light of all creation,
you make the daytime radiant with sunlight
and to the night give glittering adornment,
stars in the heavens.

Now comes the day’s end as the sun is setting:
mirror of daybreak, pledge of resurrection;
while in the heavens choirs of stars appearing
hallow the nightfall.

Therefore we come now, evening rites to offer,
joyfully chanting holy hymns to praise you,
with all creation joining hearts and voices
singing your glory.

Give heed, we pray you, to our supplication:
that you may grant us pardon for offences,
strength for our weak hearts, rest for aching bodies,
soothing the weary

Though bodies slumber, hearts shall keep their vigil,
forever resting in the peace of Jesus,
in light or darkness worshipping our Saviour
now and forever.


The Proclamation of the Word

Psalm 71.1-6
“Hear, O daughter; consider and listen closely;
forget your people and your father’s house.

The king will have pleasure in your beauty;
he is your master; therefore do him honour.

The people of Tyre are here with a gift;
the rich among the people seek your favour.”

All glorious is the princess as she enters;
her gown is cloth-of-gold.

In embroidered apparel she is brought to her sovereign;
after her the bridesmaids follow in procession.

With joy and gladness they are brought,
and enter into the royal palace.

“In place of fathers, O king, you shall have sons;
I will make your name to be remembered
from one generation to another;
therefore nations will praise you for ever and ever.”

Glory to the holy and undivided Trinity, one God:
as it was in the beginning,
is now and will be for ever. Amen.

Genesis 24.34-38, 42-49, 58-67
So he said, ‘I am Abraham’s servant. The Lord has greatly blessed my master, and he has become wealthy; he has given him flocks and herds, silver and gold, male and female slaves, camels and donkeys. And Sarah my master’s wife bore a son to my master when she was old; and he has given him all that he has. My master made me swear, saying, “You shall not take a wife for my son from the daughters of the Canaanites, in whose land I live; but you shall go to my father’s house, to my kindred, and get a wife for my son.”

‘I came today to the spring, and said, “O Lord, the God of my master Abraham, if now you will only make successful the way I am going! I am standing here by the spring of water; let the young woman who comes out to draw, to whom I shall say, ‘Please give me a little water from your jar to drink,’ and who will say to me, ‘Drink, and I will draw for your camels also’—let her be the woman whom the Lord has appointed for my master’s son.”

‘Before I had finished speaking in my heart, there was Rebekah coming out with her water-jar on her shoulder; and she went down to the spring, and drew. I said to her, “Please let me drink.” She quickly let down her jar from her shoulder, and said, “Drink, and I will also water your camels.” So I drank, and she also watered the camels. Then I asked her, “Whose daughter are you?” She said, “The daughter of Bethuel, Nahor’s son, whom Milcah bore to him.” So I put the ring on her nose, and the bracelets on her arms. Then I bowed my head and worshipped the Lord, and blessed the Lord, the God of my master Abraham, who had led me by the right way to obtain the daughter of my master’s kinsman for his son. Now then, if you will deal loyally and truly with my master, tell me; and if not, tell me, so that I may turn either to the right hand or to the left.’ And they called Rebekah, and said to her, ‘Will you go with this man?’ She said, ‘I will.’ So they sent away their sister Rebekah and her nurse along with Abraham’s servant and his men. And they blessed Rebekah and said to her,
‘May you, our sister, become
   thousands of myriads;
may your offspring gain possession
   of the gates of their foes.’
Then Rebekah and her maids rose up, mounted the camels, and followed the man; thus the servant took Rebekah, and went his way.

Now Isaac had come from Beer-lahai-roi, and was settled in the Negeb. Isaac went out in the evening to walk in the field; and looking up, he saw camels coming. And Rebekah looked up, and when she saw Isaac, she slipped quickly from the camel, and said to the servant, ‘Who is the man over there, walking in the field to meet us?’ The servant said, ‘It is my master.’ So she took her veil and covered herself. And the servant told Isaac all the things that he had done. Then Isaac brought her into his mother Sarah’s tent. He took Rebekah, and she became his wife; and he loved her. So Isaac was comforted after his mother’s death. 

Hear what the Spirit is saying to the Church.
Thanks be to God.

The Responsory
Fear not, for I have redeemed you.
I have called you by name; you are mine.
Fear not, for I have redeemed you.
I have called you by name; you are mine.
 
When you pass through the waters, I will be with you.
When you walk through fire, you shall not be burned.
Fear not, for I have redeemed you.
I have called you by name; you are mine.
    
You are precious in my sight and I love you.
Do not fear, for I am with you.
Fear not, for I have redeemed you.
I have called you by name; you are mine.

Romans 7.15-25a
I do not understand my own actions. For I do not do what I want, but I do the very thing I hate. Now if I do what I do not want, I agree that the law is good. But in fact it is no longer I that do it, but sin that dwells within me. For I know that nothing good dwells within me, that is, in my flesh. I can will what is right, but I cannot do it. For I do not do the good I want, but the evil I do not want is what I do. Now if I do what I do not want, it is no longer I that do it, but sin that dwells within me.

So I find it to be a law that when I want to do what is good, evil lies close at hand. For I delight in the law of God in my inmost self, but I see in my members another law at war with the law of my mind, making me captive to the law of sin that dwells in my members. Wretched man that I am! Who will rescue me from this body of death? Thanks be to God through Jesus Christ our Lord!

So then, with my mind I am a slave to the law of God, but with my flesh I am a slave to the law of sin.  

Hear what the Spirit is saying to the Church.
Thanks be to God.

The Song of Mary (Luke 1.46-55)
My soul proclaims the greatness of the Lord,
my spirit rejoices in God my Saviour,
for you, Lord, have looked with favour
on your lowly servant.

From this day all generations will call me blessed:
you, the Almighty, have done great things for me
and holy is your name.

You have mercy on those who fear you,
from generation to generation.

You have shown strength with your arm
and scattered the proud in their conceit,

casting down the mighty from their thrones
and lifting up the lowly.

You have filled the hungry with good things
and sent the rich away empty.

You have come to the aid of your servant Israel,
to remember the promise of mercy,

the promise made to our ancestors,
to Abraham and his children for ever.

Glory to God, Source of all being,
eternal Word and Holy Spirit:
as it was in the beginning,
is now and will be for ever. Amen.

I Heard the Voice of Jesus Say
I heard the voice of Jesus say,
"Come unto me and rest;
lay down, O weary one, lay down
your head upon my breast."
I came to Jesus as I was,
weary and worn and sad;
I found in him a resting place,
and he has made me glad.

I heard the voice of Jesus say,
"Behold, I freely give
the living water; thirsty one,
stoop down and drink, and live."
I came to Jesus, and I drank
of that life-giving stream;
my thirst was quenched, my soul revived,
and now I live in him.

I heard the voice of Jesus say,
"I am this dark world's Light;
look unto me, your morn shall rise,
and all your days be bright."
I looked to Jesus and I found
in him my Star, my Sun;
and in that light of life I'll walk,
'til trav'ling days are done.



The video cuts out toward the end of the Gospel.  Please click on the link below to continue with the service.


The Lord be with you.       
And also with you.
The Holy Gospel of our Lord Jesus Christ
according to Matthew.
Glory to you, Lord Jesus Christ.

Matthew 11.16-19-25-30
‘But to what will I compare this generation? It is like children sitting in the market-places and calling to one another,
“We played the flute for you, and you did not dance;
   we wailed, and you did not mourn.”
For John came neither eating nor drinking, and they say, “He has a demon”; the Son of Man came eating and drinking, and they say, “Look, a glutton and a drunkard, a friend of tax-collectors and sinners!” Yet wisdom is vindicated by her deeds.’

At that time Jesus said, ‘I thank you, Father, Lord of heaven and earth, because you have hidden these things from the wise and the intelligent and have revealed them to infants; yes, Father, for such was your gracious will. All things have been handed over to me by my Father; and no one knows the Son except the Father, and no one knows the Father except the Son and anyone to whom the Son chooses to reveal him.

‘Come to me, all you that are weary and are carrying heavy burdens, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you, and learn from me; for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light.’
 
The Gospel of Christ.
Praise to you. Lord Jesus Christ.
Sermon
Apostles’ Creed
Let us confess the faith of our baptism as we say,
I believe in God,
the Father almighty,
creator of heaven and earth.

I believe in Jesus Christ, his only Son, our Lord.
He was conceived by the power of the Holy Spirit
and born of the Virgin Mary.
He suffered under Pontius Pilate,
was crucified, died, and was buried.
He descended to the dead.
On the third day he rose again.
He ascended into heaven,
and is seated at the right hand of the Father.
He will come again
to judge the living and the dead.

I believe in the Holy Spirit,
the holy catholic Church,
the communion of saints,
the forgiveness of sins,
the resurrection of the body,
and the life everlasting.  Amen.

O God of Bethel
O God of Bethel, by whose hand
thy people still are fed,
who through this weary pilgrimage
hast all our fathers led;

Our vows, our prayers, we now present
before thy throne of grace;
God of our fathers, be the God
of their succeeding race.

Through each perplexing path of life
our wandering footsteps guide;
give us each day our daily bread,
and raiment fit provide.

O spread thy covering wings around
till all our wanderings cease,
and at our Father's loved abode
our souls arrive in peace.

Blessing of the Prayer Shawls

The Prayers of the Community

The Litany
Send forth your strength, O God;
establish what you have wrought in us.

Uphold all those who fall
and raise up those who are bowed down.

Open the eyes of the blind and set the prisoners free.
Sustain the orphan and widowed
and give food to those who hunger.

Grant them the joy of your help again
and sustain them with your Spirit.

Giver of peace, judge the peoples
and take all nations for your own.

Anglican Communion
   Pray for the united Church of Pakistan
      The Most Reverend Humphrey Peters
         Bishop of Peshawar
            & Moderator of the Church of Pakistan 
Anglican Church of Canada
   Diocese of Niagara
      the Right Reverend Susan Bell, Bishop
Council of the North
   Diocese of Saskatchewan
      the Right Reverend Michael W. Hawkins, Bishop
      the Right Reverend Adam Halkett, Bishop of Missinipi
      the Right Reverend Isaiah Larry Beardy,
         Assisting Bishop of Missinipi
Diocese of Edmonton
   St. George, Devon
      Christian Gordon, Rector
   Buyé Synod Office
      the Right Reverend Sixbert Macumi, Bishop
   Métis Nation of Alberta
 
(I will not place our individual parish prayers on the internet. 
We know who we pray for each week. 
Rest assured that your loved ones continue in our prayers.)
We continue to pray for Burundi and our twinned parishes
      Kabanga and St. Luke’s Bigombo
We also pray for the Canadian Armed Forces
  serving at home and abroad.

Loving God,
whose peace passes all our understanding:
as we face this present pandemic,
and experience fear and anxiety,
may we hear your voice,
bringing calm to the storms of our time.

Strengthen those who work
to limit the spread of infection,
and those who seek to care for the sick,
and keep us mindful of those most vulnerable.

May we shape our living to protect one another,
and may our changing habits,
practices and sacrifices,
be for the greater love of our community
and all your people.  Amen.
From the Diocese of Niagara.

The Collect of the Day
God of heaven and earth,
you reveal your wisdom to the childlike;
may we learn from your Son humility of heart,
so that we find refreshment and rest
even as we shoulder the cross of Christ;
who, with you and the Holy Spirit,
lives and reigns, one God, now and for ever. Amen.
Opening Prayers (1997) alt.


The Lord’s Prayer
Trusting in the compassion of God
and gathering our prayers and praises into one,
let us pray as our Saviour taught us,

Our Father in heaven,
hallowed be your name,
your kingdom come,
your will be done,
on earth as in heaven.
Give us today our daily bread.
Forgive us our sins
as we forgive those who sin against us.
Save us from the time of trial,
and deliver us from evil.
For the kingdom, the power,
and the glory are yours,
now and for ever. Amen.

Lead Us, Heavenly Father, Lead Us
Lead us, heavenly Father, lead us
o'er the world's tempestuous sea;
guard us, guide us, keep us, feed us,
for we have no help but thee;
yet possessing every blessing,
if our God our Father be.

Saviour, breathe forgiveness o'er us:
all our weakness thou dost know;
thou didst tread this earth before us,
thou didst feel its keenest woe;
lone and dreary, faint and weary,
through the desert thou didst go.

Spirit of our God, descending,
fill our hearts with heavenly joy,
love with every passion blending,
pleasure that can never cloy:
thus provided, pardoned, guided,
nothing can our peace destroy.

Dismissal
May Christ, who sends us to the nations,
give us the power of the Holy Spirit.
Alleluia!  Amen!

Go Now in Peace


Evening Prayer
adapted from:
PRAY WITHOUT CEASING
Morning and Evening Prayer for Ordinary Time
Prepared by the Ven. Dr. Richard Leggett
for the Faith, Worship, and Ministry Committee Of the Anglican Church of Canada

The psalm is from:
A Liturgical Psalter
General Synod 2016 Edition
The Psalter of The Book of Alternative Services Emended for Contemporary Liturgical Use


No comments: