Wednesday, May 30, 2007

Lambeth 2008

I have been watching the various blog sites and reading the reactions to the ABC's invitations for Lambeth. I have to admit to being disappointed with many of the responses - basically saying that people should stay home. I certainly sympathize with those who feel that someone they support has been slighted. I would have loved it had Gene Robinson been fully invited. I would not have been pleased (not that my opinion holds any weight) had Marty Minns been invited. Even though Gene Robinson has not received a full invitation I do not echo the voices of those who say that the TEC bishops should stay home. I understand all the reasons why and I agree with most of them. But for Tec and its supporters to stay home means that certain voices will not be heard. I have grave concerns for the impact on the Anglican Communion if that happens.

Don't get me wrong. If it came down to having to abandon our GLBT brothers and sisters to stay in the AC, I would let go of it in a second with sadness but without qualm. But to not be there for a voice of possibility and hope for the future seems like abandoning GLBTs as well.

While I strongly disagree with those who speak of exclusion, I do value diversity. The recent statement from the global centre leaves me with some hope for the future of the AC. I have to admit to an ulterior motive. My hope would be that if we continue in the AC we can see a future where full inclusion will be a practice in all provinces. If we leave, or if TEC leaves, that full inclusion, if it occurs, will that much longer in coming at the expense of many throughout the AC.


Statement from Latin América and Caribbean Anglicans Bishops
Recently gathered in San José, Costa Rica, Latin America and Caribbean Anglican Bishops signed a Statement in which some of the more important points that characterize the anglican tradition were reaffirmed.
Among them I point some highlights of this Statement below:

We exhorted our Communion to preserve its partaking nature, diversified, wide and inclusive, characteristics that we consider essential to our Tradition and that constitute our main contribution to the Christian tradition.

......

At our meeting fellowship, we perceived that we defend different positions on the issues that today are discussed within our Communion. However, we also experienced our plurality and diversity like wealth and growth sources, and not as controversy and division causes.

......

We invite all our brothers and sisters in the bishopric, as well as to all the clergy members and lay people that are identified with this vision, to unite us to work indeed by the reconciliation, interdependence and unit in the diversity in our faith family, and thus to preserve the valuable legacy of which we are trustees and guardians.

This Statement constitutes in an innequivocal call to the whole Communion to overcome the intolerance and rediscover the richness of our diversity. Distinct perceptions concerning the human sexuality are not essential to define who is or not ortodox. We cannot let the fundamentalism destroy the Spirit - who is dynamic and updates every time and every generation the God's project for the world.

The Anglican Communion survival - if it still exists - will depend on our capacity of recovering the unity in the diversity. We are responsible in continue Jesus's ministry who always welcomed all people. We need remind that orthodoxy became the biggest opponent of Jesus de Nazaré and the fundamentalism condemned it!

No comments: